9/7/08

Birdies

Way back, probably during the Taft Administration, I ran with birdwatchers. Admitedly, the were actually professionals - ornithologists - but they were birdwatchers (or twitchers, as the Brits say), nonetheless. This was mostly due to boredom and the fact that the ornithology department was always looking for warm bodies to include on various outings. Long story short, I like birdies.

Today, I had my first goldfinches. This is a big deal for me, as all I've had this year at my feeders have been house sparrows. Mourning doves peck about on the ground and house sparrows monopolize the hangning feeders. Occasionally, a Great-Tailed Grackle (purple race) has made an appearance and, once, a House Finch. This is a pathetic list. I am hopeful that fall migration will bring some niceties. Of course, if I continue to lose my battle with Sqwerlio, things may be dire. He is a dirtbag and trashes my cheap, plastic feeders. Absolutely no respect for the paltry salary of a public school teacher.

I have to admit that birdwatching in the South nabs more colorful and funky birds than in the Northeast. Here are some of the faves from by twicher days:


American Avocet



Hooded Warbler



Painted Bunting



Scarlet Tanager



Roseate Spoonbill




Cedar Waxwing

No comments: