10/29/12

Needless to Say...

...all exams have been pushed back one day since we are not in school today. I'm still waiting for something to warrant all of this fuss, but perhaps I'm just jaded.

Growing up in Louisiana makes me a little hard to please in terms of storms. I've endured enough full-swing hurricanes, tropical storms and tornadoes that things have to get pretty bad to make a blip on my radar. That doesn't mean I don't approach things rationally, though. I never buy or rent a residence that has electric heat, and electric stove or an electric hot water heater. We lost power frequently when I was a kid and having the ability to stay warm, have a hot meal and shower was always a blessing. When the storm warnings hit, I dig out my battery-powered radio, flashlights, candles and old-fashioned phone. Knowing I'll have some light to read, the ability to listen to music and news and make phone calls in the event of an emergency is a good thing. I also make sure all electronic devices are fully charged and my back-up power supplies are also charged to the brim. Fresh water is hoarded, dog food is stockpiled and then there's coffee. Growing up, there was no Mr. Coffee or Keurig machines. Coffee was made in a coffee pot, set in a pot of water on the stove. I still have that equipment stashed away, ready to be put to use when power fails. All possible projectiles such as garbage cans and bird feeders have been stowed and all clothes and dishes have been washed, in case that ability is lost for a few days. Yeah, the storm isn't worrying me, but I'd rather put a little effort into hedging my bets than a lot of effort trying to keep body and soul together if I've misread Mother Nature.

Stay safe and, hopefully, I'll see everyone tomorrow!